Topic: PacketProtector Light 1.0!!!

PacketProtector Light 1.0 is available here-

http://packetprotector.org/download/light/1.0/

This firmware is optimized for routers with 4MB of flash and 16MB of RAM (e.g. the Linksys WRT54GL).  Here's what you get-

* a stateful firewall (iptables)
    * intrusion prevention (Snort-inline)
    * remote access VPN (OpenVPN)
    * anti-phishing (OpenDNS)
    * automatic updates (for Snort)
    * a local certificate authority (OpenSSL)
    * secure management interfaces (SSH and HTTPS)
    * advanced firewall scripts for blocking IM and P2P apps
    * IP spoofing prevention (Linux rp_filter)
    * basic protocol anomaly detection (ipt_unclean)

The Snort-inline startup is still a bit of a kludge, but it works well.  There isn't much room left on a 4MB flash so the Snort rules are stored in /tmp, and fetched from snort.org on each reboot (when auto-updates are enabled).

Cheers  smile
Charlie

Re: PacketProtector Light 1.0!!!

More examples of supported hardware-

Buffalo WBR2-G54
Buffalo WBR2-G54S
Buffalo WLA-G54
Linksys WRT54G (versions 1-4)
Linksys WRT54GS (versions 1-4)

See the OpenWrt TableOfHardware for more possibilities (requirements- 4MB flash, 16MB RAM, Broadcom wireless).

Charlie

congratulations!!

Now in Subversion-

/trac/browser/buildroot_light/trunk

Great work!!

A suggestion: I tried to install the packages for dyndns, but without success; there was a message that there was not enough space on the device. Is there any way to free some space for dyndns, i. e. to remove other modules?

I tried to install the packages for dyndns, but without success; there was a message that there was not enough space on the device. Is there any way to free some space for dyndns, i. e. to remove other modules?

D'oh!  I'll roll updatedd into the next release (later this week).  It shouldn't take up much room on the compressed (squashfs) partition.

If you have any suggestions for extraneous stuff that can be removed, please let me know.

I may try to pull some stuff from the firmware (e.g. tcpdump), and instead use a startup script to install the packages to /tmp (ramdisk) at boot.

Thanks!
Charlie

space isnt always a problem  use NFS CIFS sshfs etc or hardware SD MMC mod (Wrt54G series) i hate my GL for its small storage space sad  i'll prolly move the snort rules off to a remote mountpoint

ps thanx for releasing "light versions"  the openwrt snort isnt compiled with inline support and i ugh am too lazy to compile everything myself this is sooo great

ecer since i started messing with snort i noticed alot of people tryin buffer exploits/shell code on my hosts tongue

Last edited by jimmyridge (2008-04-11 08:27:13)

ciscostu wrote:

PacketProtector Light 1.0 is available here-

http://packetprotector.org/download/light/1.0/

is the openwrt-wrtsl54gs-2.4-squashfs.bin file the wrt54gl image?

No, it's this one-

openwrt-wrt54g-2.4-squashfs.bin

Hope this helps,
Charlie

ciscostu wrote:

No, it's this one-

openwrt-wrt54g-2.4-squashfs.bin

Hope this helps,
Charlie

thanks for replying.

after hunting around on the website i finally figured out which firmware was for the wrt54gl.

a text file (eg. index.txt) in the download directory would have saved me some hunting.

-- david

nice work